RE: Midget rollbar

To: "'Eric'" <eric@erickson.on.net>, The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Midget rollbar
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:28:16 -0700
Monday morning, and I thought I might chime in on this thread.

Let's not get carried away with rollbars.  There are reasons for street type
roll bars and reasons for competition ones.  Each only gives a modicum of
improved safety.  I am sure we have all run into cases where specific
incidents contradict all the benefits.

The street roll bars that are currently available from reputable
manufacturers will definitely improve survival chances in the case of a
sports car making a typical soft roll on a hard surface, if the driver is
wearing a shoulder harness that has locked.  It will also improve the
chances that the vehicle will continue into a complete roll rather than
landing upside down and trapping the occupants.  A roll bar could possibly
save a life if something was trying to come into the car and get cosy with
you, such as a grand piano or tree.  Then again as Gerardo noted, since in
normal driving you are not wearing a helmet, there is the liability that you
may strike your head on the roll bar structure in other types of accidents.

Comparing a street roll bar to a competition one is I believe acompletely
useless excercise.  A street roll bar is designed to fit under a top, a
competition one (in a convertible car) has no such need.  Comparing 2" here
and there, or an extra cross brace is really academic when it comes to
actual crash incidences.  The human body stretches a long way when under the
forces involved in a collision of any type.  A competition roll structure
has just as many limitations as a street one if the driver is not wearing a
helmet, tight belts and arm restraints.  A roll bar of either type only
serves to increase the odds, while hopefully not adding dangers.

I have seen a street roll bar in a TR6 that saved the driver's life when the
car went off a cliff and did 7 barrel rolls.  I also knew a race driver who
was killed instantly when his car flipped once and landed on a flower
planter.

This is what I have observed after working in a British Scrap Yard for a
number of years.

1.  Sports cars don't roll easily.  They tend to be really stable and hard
to flip, so a street roll bar is not an essential piece of kit unless you
intend to compete with the car (or just look like you do).  I have seen over
1000 wrecked British sports cars, only three were involved in roll overs.

2.  Most fatal sports car accidents were the result of the occupants not
wearing seat belts, in most cases the passenger compartments were still
secure.  There is a lesson here.  Without good seat belts a roll bar is
absolutely useless.

3.  The available Street bars offer as much "real world" protection as race
bars.  If something is going to reach in and touch you, an additional 2"
from an unprotected head is not going to do you any good at all.  I have
seen some pretty bent street bars, but none that have collapsed.

4.  Last of all.  If your ticket is up, it's up.  Reference Dick Criswell's
accident.  I've got a roll bar for my MGB GT, but I feel kinda silly
installing it after seeing Dick's car which looked like the god's took an
almighty baseball bat to the driver's area.

If we were really that worried about safety I think we had better stick to
MGB GTs with full cages and side intrusion bars.

all the best

Kelvin.