Re: Setting fire to three SUVs [OT]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Setting fire to three SUVs [OT]
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
Max Heim SEZ -
> on 7/22/03 12:18 PM, David Breneman at idcb@airborne.com wrote:
>
> > I don't think these
> > luddites will be happy until everybody's forced to use mass transit
> > and the private ownership of cars is severly curtailed if not banned
> > outright.
>
> Oh, come on. That's about as likely to happen as Congress cutting their own
> salary. Perhaps you've failed to notice that it's the automakers that are
> driving public policy (despite a few grudging compromises), at least in the
> US...

I don't think it will happen, at least not during our lifetimes,
but I think that is the ultimate goal of a lot of these folks.
Remember, the main argument against SUVs is that they aren't
*necessary* for the vast majority of the owners.  The same can
be said of classic and sports cars.  Once you start making value
judgements about what kind of cars people *need* you've started
down a very slippery slope indeed.

--
David Breneman                     | "I don't care to belong to a club
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  that accepts people like me