Electronic ignition conversions for point systems:

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, mgtabc <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Electronic ignition conversions for point systems:
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:18:48 -0500
FWIW:

I recently found it necessary to service a Hitachi electronic
distributor D6F4-03 fitted to my mother's Datsun 810.  Under the 6
lobbed reluctor one finds, now get this ....

a six lobed point cam as used with a point system.  Also there is a
spring loaded rubbing block which is set to a gap of 0.012" inch.  This
rubbing block is mounted 180 degrees opposite the pick-up coil and is
adjustable to make sure it is 180 degrees opposite.

" ... After air gap (For the pick-up coil) has been adjusted properly,
check the clearance to ensure that it (The cam to contactor clearance)
is approximately 0.3 mm and that contactor touches the highest point of
the cam.  ... "

So, it appears that Hitachi found it necessary to provide a drag on the
distributor spindle that mimicked a point rubbing block.  Thus, there is
a necessity to service this rubbing block besides servicing the advance
mechanism.  Not such a "maintainence free" distributor after all.

The reason for the rubbing block, my guess, is without it, there would
be too much ignition scatter due to play in the drive system for the
rotor spindle.

Blake