Re: Got the B home, but now what?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Got the B home, but now what?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:01:32 -0700
Hmmm... are you sure you are looking in the right place? ..."the right-hand
inner wing valance in front of the radiator". If there are two empty screw
holes in this location I'm afraid you're right.

Here's what Clausager has to say about the other possible locations (p.121):

"...MGB cars for the USA (and Canada?) had the car number stamped inside the
front right-hand side member in the engine compartment just behind the fornt
motor mount, adjacent to the starter motor. The stamped-in number is not
found on the very first US export cars but seems to have been introduced
quite early in the production run..."

Being early, and possibly Canadian in origin, your car may be on either side
of this one...

Later, he comments:

"At least some cars had the car number stamped in the floor pan in front of
the right-hand seat, although this may only have been introduced in 1967..."

Worth checking, at least.

There is also a "body number" tag, which may or may not be correlated with
the vehicle number in the records (each car had two body numbers -- very
confusing). Here's the description:

"Of the two numbers on early MGB roadsters, one number is prefixed 'MGB' and
is stamed on an alloy tag screwed to the inner wing valance behind the
radiator diaphragm in the engine compartment, on the right-hand side when
looking form the front. This number is NOT listed in the records. The other
number has no prefix and is stamped on a tag which is spot-welded in a
similar position to the wing valance in the left-hand side when looking form
the front, and this is the body number which is quoted in the production
records..."

If you find this second number, the BMIHT (British Motor Industry Heritage
Trust) should be able to correlate it with a VIN (or, rather, look up your
purported  VIN and give you the body number, which you can check against the
car).

Good luck.

--

Max Heim