RE: Two Super Supercharged MGB's

To: Jerry Erbesfield <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Two Super Supercharged MGB's
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Quite a rant - except for one thing; you're
> DEAD WRONG! The latest generation, the C-5,
> the model like I have is a wonderful car.

As I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone of
anything.  If you love your Vette, more power to you.

All I'm saying is that in my own personal experience,
I have yet to find an American car that measures up to
the standards I personally have for build quality,
engineering excellence and design insight that I've
come to expect from modern Japanese and European
vehicles.  Maybe your Vette is tight, and maybe the C5
really is the goods.  I don't know.  But the press
raved about the C4 too, and it was a piece of crap.
Fast?  Yes.  Affordable?  Sure.  But the estra money
you spend on a Porsche or Mercedes actually does BUY
something, and it's something that happens to be
important to me.  More important than a quarter mile
time.

Look, Corvette owners are a loyal bunch, which I
respect, but the Corvett faithful loves every single
Vette ever produced, yet up to (and including) the C4,
they haven't warranted it.

The press raves about my Jeep, and it's a piece of
crap.  The press has wonderful things to say about the
Dodge Caravan, and it's a piece of crap.  This is
kinda my point.

Now my MG is a different story.  To hold it to the
stndards of a Camry or Accord or Vette or Grand
Cherokee would be crazy.  Different generations,
different worlds.  When I bought the MG, I wasn't
looking for a refined commuter or a
maximum-performance street rocket.  The MG is a
simple, rugged, tossable, antiquated sports car that
is absolutely perfectly engineered for its intended
use and market.  Thirty years on, it's a delight.

But I hold brand new, modern cars to different
standards, and after owning a number of European and
Japanese cars, I've come to expect a level of
thoughtful engineering, exceptional build quality and
seamless useability that simple isn't there yet with
the Amercian cars I've driven.

The fact that I'm looking for improved build quality
by trading my Jeep for a Land Rover really speaks
volumes, doesn't it?

But hey!  I could be dead wrong!  Love your Vette,
drive it like you want to, and enjoy it.  I definitely
don't want to take the wind out of anyone else's
sails!  If I ever get to drive a five year old C5,
maybe I'll be a convert too.  I suppose anything is
possible.

But I'm not holding my breath.  I've been burned too
many times already...

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project