Re: 79 B steering column

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 79 B steering column
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:12:21 +1200
I had my steering apart recently, and had the same thing happen. I puzzled
over the plastic pins for a while and finally came to the conclusion that
they are there for assembly purposes only. While they are strong enough to
hold the steering column inner and outer together as a unit during assembly,
they have no real purpose in either use or a crash.

The turning motion from the steering wheel is transmitted from the outer to
inner by the flats, and in a crash, I would suppose with the drivers chest
against the steering wheel - the top outer housing mounting would slide
forward, the expanded metal section of the housing would collapse, and the
inner ( lower) section of the steering column would telescope into the outer
top section.

In either of these situations any strength the plastic pegs would contribute
is negligible.

Slide the inner back into place, and ensure that the correct size bolts are
used to fasten the universal joints, and that they are tight. No need to
replace the steering column.

Cheers
Ian f