Re: Engine Rebuilding in Lubbock TX

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuilding in Lubbock TX
From: "Scott & Lynn Hower" <howersl@att.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:45:35 -0400
> Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com> ...
>
> There are a lot of pig-headed b*stards who won't let "furrin sh*t" in
their shops.
> I was merely speculating that Lubbock, TX, would be one location where
this attitude
> was prevalent. I could very well be wrong (in fact, I hope I am, in
this case).

When I rebuilt my B engine, I asked the local hotrod guys for machine
shop referrals.
They suggested an outfit named RPM - Ritter Precision Machining, a
NASCAR type shop catering to the Ford/Chevy crowd.  I took a chance and
called anyway... "Hi, I'm wondering if you do work on foreign cars?"...
'Uh... let me get the owner..'

Seems the shop owner also owned several MGs, so I was in luck.  Before I
got the block unloaded he already had his Bentley book on the counter
ready to go.  I told him that I really didn't know what the engine
needed; he told me he'd take care of it and call me with a quote.

He hot-tanked/bored/honed the block, checked the align bore,
cleaned/checked/shotpeened the rods, pressfit the pistons,
index-reground the crank and installed and reamed the cam bearings.  He
called me to bring in the flywheel, hardware and bearings so he could
balance the spinning bits.  As I recall, it was about $450 total.

--Scott