Starting the Engine Work on my 68B

Subject: Starting the Engine Work on my 68B
From: "Ross Bateman" <ross@rcsa.co.za>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:52:05 +0200
Hi All

Over the weekend I tackled the engine on my 68B Roadster.
I have tinkered with engines in the past but that was just messing about and
was never anything like the complete rebuild I am planning on the B.

The car will eventually be an everyday driver but I want it to have a real
sting in it's tail. No way I want to be left standing by a hot hatch.

There are a few things I wanted to run by the list so that I can get my plan
of action right from the start.

My list of ideas are as follows:

rebore to 2 litre (or as close as is possible)
lighten the fly wheel by a few pounds (I have read 6 pounds is good)
balance both the flywheel and crank
port and polish the head
use bigger valves
put in a mild second stage cam
fit a good branch and in turn exhaust system
richer needles in the SUs with K&Ns filtering the air
fit electronic ignition with more modern solenoid etc

Is there anything else I should look at or that I am leaving out from the
list above that will have to be done as a result of my ideas?

So far I have the head off and there is a lot of rust in the waterways. What
is the best way to clean this up or will most of it get sorted at the
machine shop when the other mods are being done?

I want to repaint the engine. I was thinking of stripping the old paint with
paint stripper and maybe a cup brush while I have it in bits then painting.
Should I do the painting before the mods get done or after? I was thinking
before in case any paints gets in where it shouldn't, then hopefully the
machining will clean it out.

Will the block and head have to be machined together?
The reason I ask is I do not have a lot of space and would like to finish
one sub-assembly before starting on the next. That way I also have more
chance of remembering where everything goes.

Thanks for your input,

Ross
British Sports Cars in South Africa
www.rcsa.co.za