Re: Starting the Engine Work on my 68B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting the Engine Work on my 68B
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 06:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
> rebore to 2 litre (or as close as is possible)

I've heard this can cause serious reliability
problems, because the cylinder wall can get pretty
thin on some blocks.  Many people feel that 1950cc's
offers most of the torque and more room for
reliability than the more popular 1990cc option.

> port and polish the head, use bigger valves, put in
a mild second stage cam, richer needles in the SUs
with K&Ns filtering the air...

This sounds like a decent setup, but if your goal is
staying close to hot hatches, intake breathing is
probably going to be pretty important.  Supercharging
would perhaps be the easiest and most cost-effective
way to get more air into the engine, but if you'd
rather stay naturally-aspirated, I think you'll need
to spend some time optimizing intake air flow.  With a
1950cc engine and performance cam, you might want to
consider 1.75" SU carbs at the least, and perhaps a
cross-flow cylinder head as well.

> Should I do the painting before the mods get
> done or after? I was thinking before in case
> any paints gets in where it shouldn't, then
> hopefully the machining will clean it out.

I always paint engines when the come back from the
machine shop, so the nice shiny new paint doesn't get
damaged by the equipment, but I never thought about
painting anything BEFORE.  Might not be a bad idea.  I
suppose a careful machine shop would have no real
problem protecting your new paint.  Maybe you should
ask the shop that is going to do the machining.

> That way I also have a better chance of
> remembering where everything goes.

Yeah, take it from a guy who learned a LOT of hard
lessons on his first engine rebuild.  Label every
single little piece.  Every washer.  Every clip.  Even
if it seems so incredibly obvious.  It take more time
on the strip, but it will save you FAR more time on
the reassembly.

Have fun with it.  Sounds like it will be a cool car
when it's done...

Cheers,

=====
Paul Misencik