Re: Burned by another eBay seller

To: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Burned by another eBay seller
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 02:56:08 -0500
Carl French wrote:

> NO MORE eBay buying for this MG parts consumer!!! This guy is a real
>
>piece-o-work.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2422666405Auction
> was for 5 Midget Wheels "good condition but could use repainting".
>

> Bill is right, This guy is a stain on eBay. In the times when I have
> sold I have had three instances where there was a problem with the
> product and I immediatly sent the person a refund including the
> shipping for both ways and a profuse apology. It is not worth it if
> people are unhappy with me. I guess now you know where the term
> Masshole comes from.

Everybody has one.   ;)

I predict he will have an attack of conscience and make this right. At
least, I certainly hope so.

I bought a cylinder head for my Cooper S a few months ago and insisted I
needed to know if the head was cracked or not, before I would bid. The
seller griped and complained, but eventually inspected it for cracks and
agreed to accept a return and refund the price if it turned out to be
cracked.

I bought the head.

It wasn't cracked.

He neglected to tell me it had been skimmed .030" which is damned near
the maximum amount these heads can stand. This, unknown to me, raised my
compression ratio way too high. I have been building engines since 1963
and never had this happen before. From now on, any unknown head is going
to be "CC'ed" before I use it ($25 at the shop).

The result was that 250 miles of highway driving eventually blew the top
out of #3 piston, necessitating a complete removal and rebuild, new
gaskets, a new piston (a whole set, actually; they don't sell these in
singles) and the machining of the combustion chambers in the head to
bring them out to spec. Something in the neighborhood of $500 and months
of Mini enjoyment lost and hours of work in the Oklahoma heat (100+ f.)
all because he couldn't be bothered to be honest about the part he was
selling. I gave him good feedback at the time, not knowing how badly I
had been done.

So, I sympathize.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--