Re: AOL problems

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: AOL problems
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:18:26 -0700
Don't know where you heard this. Anyway, that is pretty much true, now -- if
you can contact them, they have to stop sending to you. The problem is that
they never have legitimate return addresses, so you never can "opt out". So
an enforceable "opt out" law would actually be an improvement.

Junk faxes are supposedly illegal in California, but I get them anyway. They
display phony return fax numbers (also illegal), so there is no way to trace
them. Of course, there is no way to buy their product, either, so most of
them are just touting bogus stocks. As if anyone would invest based on this
kind of fraudulent promotion.

Like spam, it's really an economic problem. If it cost anything whatsoever
to send it, no one would do it, based on the 0.02% response rate (that would
have to be Barnum's proverbial "sucker born every minute", I suppose).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149