RE: Manifold Gasket

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Manifold Gasket
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:47:40 -0500
> I'm just about to replace the manifold gasket on my 77B, and
> wondered about
> using a gasket compound. I have never use one before on this,
> but would be
> interested in the thoughts of the group.

I've never used anything on this gasket, and never had a problem.

> Second thought was that I had suffered from a couple of
> exhaust manifold to
> catalytic converter gasket failures. As most of you will
> know, this is real
> pain of a job, so the third time it happened I made a 1/16"
> thick copper
> gasket, and then annealed it over the kitchen gas ring. By
> the way, those
> "crow's foot" wrenches are great for reaching those impossible nuts.

I tried using thicker gaskets of different materials, and still had
problems.  Final solution was to pull and replace those studs, which
over time become hard and brittle and won't stretch enough to provide
the necessary clamping force.