Distributor / Timing problems...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor / Timing problems...
From: Menno.Meijer@ict.nl
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:53:43 +0200
Thanks for all the responses, everytime we receive responses from
the list, my dad and I are amazed by the time and knowledge people
put into their responses. Thanks for that.

I've made a summary of all responses I've received.

 1. Are you sure wires are connected in correct firing order?

 A. Yes, my cables are marked.

 2. Are you sure you didn't put the distrubutor 180 deg. off?

 A. Yes, I'm sure I didn't put it the wrong way around. Actually,
    while searching for a reason for my problems I've tried to put
    it in the wrong way, just to check whether it would fit. And it
    didn't. As far as I know I cannot put the distributor in the
    wrong way. (I have not moved the car between removing and re-
    inserting the dizzy)

 3. Have you connected the wires and terminal bush and capacitor
    within the distributor correctly?

 A. As far as I know yes, but I'll check that this evening.

 4. Have you checked the black ground wire within the distributor?

 A. As far as I know yes, but I'll check that this evening.

 5. Did you make sure you've rolled the car forward before adjusting
    the static timing?

 A. Yes, we did that. I'll pay attention to that again the next time
    we'll adjust the static timing.

 6. Have you applied gentle pressure (clockwise) to the rotor arm and
    did the points opened?

 A. No, I'll do that next time.

 7. Are the valve clearances all good?

 A. Yes, as far as I know, we've adjusted the valve clearances a
    couple of months ago and had no problems since.

 8. Have you disconnected the vacuum advance while checking dynamic
    timing?

 A. In the beginning did not disconnect the vacuum advance. After
    we saw that the timing was way too advanced we've disconnected
    the vacuum advance which reduced the amount of advance a litte.

 9. Are you sure you've put the springs and weights in correctly?

 A. To the best of my knowledge, yes. I've paid special attention to
    this while I was removing these components. (I'll look at my
    digital photographs just to be sure)

10. Have you plugged the vacuum line?

 A. No, the only thing I did was disconnecting the line at the carb.
    (There was not much noticable difference in how the engine was
    running)

11. Have you checked the dwell angle?

 A. No, not yet, unfortunatly I haven't got a dwell angle meter. (I
    hope to do a quick test this evening with a powersupply and a
    digital scope) (Still planning to make my own dwell meter because
    the ones I've found here in The Netherlands are quite expensive)

Again, thanks for the responses...

By the way, by accident I've forgot to add a subject to my previous
posting... Sorry about that.

Best regards,

Menno

----------------
This E-mail message, including any attached documentation, is
confidential. Should you have received this message wrongly, you are
urged to inform the sender at "disclaimer@ICT.nl" and remove the message
from your system. Any unauthorised dissemination of the information, in
whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mail messages can be subject to
change. ICT Automatisering NV and its subsidiaries cannot be held
responsible for incorrect, incomplete and/or delayed transfer of
messages and possible damage caused by this. Although ICT Automatisering
NV (including its subsidiaries) makes every effort to send messages free
of viruses by using a viruschecker, ICT Automatisering NV (or its
subsidiaries) cannot guarantee that the message and any attachments are
actually completely virus free.