RE: Roller Throw Out Bearings

To: "'Hans Duinhoven'" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>,
Subject: RE: Roller Throw Out Bearings
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:56:09 -0400
Yes, as I recall, more people on the list DID endorse the carbon bearing
than did the roller bearing. - HOWEVER, most problems with the roller
bearings are caused by human error and/or lack of knowledge of how to deal
with it, NOT because the roller bearing is inferior. The roller bearing is
actually far superior IF installed properly. I have personally experienced
this with two roller bearings that lasted 6-7 years each and one carbon
bearing that lasted only 2-3 years, all under similar conditions. Free play
is a MUST so that the roller bearing doesn't turn all the time wearing it
out pre-maturely. The bearing being centered, installed on the correct
length/sized arm and a return spring being installed at a minimum, and/or
the mod kit added too to allow for a little extra clearance, will insure a
successful and long lasting (longer than the carbon bearing under same
conditions) roller bearing install.

Jerry Erbesfield
Was - 73 Black beauty MGB roadster
Now - C-5 Black Beauty Vette roadster