Re: DZUS fastner's

To: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: DZUS fastner's
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:52:15 -0500

Try this URL: http://www.dfcis.com

>I looked at the ST-1200 line and chose the ring type. Fastner size 4,
>seems right: 1/4 in diameter, 7/16 head. I pick anything for the
>receptical since that's already in there.

Not sure about the MGB, but I use these on my MGA, and it takes 5/16"
diameter.  The MGB could be different.

>Now what's throwing me is, the panel, gap and support thicknesses. What do
>these mean? Would panel be the thickness of the cover. Gap - space between
>the cover and the body and Support - depth the receptical is down in the body?

Yes, yes, and sort of.  Panel is thickness of the cover.  Gap is space
between.  Support is the thickness of the base panel (not including the
receptacle).  The total of Panel, Gap, and Support is called the "Pile
Up".  Depending on what type of retaining grommet you use, and how big the
hole in the base panel is, or if there is an indentation coined in teh base
panel, there may or may not be a gap between the panels.

The big "G" for grip length on the stud is measured from the underside of
the head to the bottom of the "J" shape slot where it hooks under the wire
in the receptacle.  When you orient this properly and peer through the slot
with one eye, it looks like a round hole.  Once you get past 0.300" grip
length, the studs come in length increments of .100". (smaller diameters in
.050" increments of length).

The wire receptacle will accomodate a working range of .025".  So there are
four different receptacles of various heights to accomodate the range of
.100" for one step in length of the stud.  If you are depending on the
receptacle that's already installed in your car, and you don't intend to
change it, you may have only 25% chance of having the correct depth of
engagement for the receptacle.  If the stack-up calculations don't come out
right with your present receptacle, you may have to go to the next longer
stud and install a spacer under the head (flat washers). If you do that,
you have to add the thickness of the spacer to the panel thickness when
selecting a retaining grommet.

>Plus, if I submitted this for a quote, are they really in the business to
>sell me 5? Is there a retail place that handles these things?

No, and not that I know of.  But it falls in the range of sample
quantity.  If you're a slick talker and have a good enough reason for
needing a sample, you might get them for free.

You get them from an industrial fastener supply house, and not just any nut
and bolt place.  There are a few distribution warehouses around that supply
these parts for industrial applications, meaning they normally sell to the
people who install them in some consumer product that you might buy as an
assembly (like an airplane for instance).  It will probably be a long hunt
to find a retailer who would even stock these things, let alone sell by the
piece.  They usually sell in lots of 100 or 1000 or larger bulk
quantities.  I have never seen them packaged in small quantitiy retail
packages, only by the shovel full in the distributor's bins.  From there
the distributor will repackage into a box or baggie.  If you find a source
willing to deal with a non-business entity, figure on at least a $25
minimum order.

There is a stocking distributor named S.W.Anderson about 5 miles from my
house in Downers Grove, IL, and a few others sprinkled around the
midwest.  Check here: http://www.swaco.com/htm/profile.htm

Also Wesco Aircraft in the USA, Canada, UK, and France:
http://www.dfcis.com/dzusdist.html

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com