OT Trivia (was: Britcars and the Press)

To: DON SCOTT <rowdon@sonoma-county.org>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OT Trivia (was: Britcars and the Press)
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
> Maybe it was the contrast
> of the TR8 with the cars
> of that era; the TR8 was a hell of a lot better
> driving car than a 1980
> Corvette.

This comment jogged my memory on something.  I
remember reading a trivia question in Road & Track
many years ago, and I'm dying to bump into it again.
I don't know the answer (although I have a pretty good
guess list), but the question went something like
this:

"In 1980, only four cars LEGALLY sold in the United
States produced 200 BHP or more.  The key word is
legally.  No gray market cars, please.  Name the
four."

I know the Porsche 928 did, and I know the 911 Turbo
was not imported that year.  So the 928 is one.  I'm
also pretty sure the Jaguar XJS made more than 200
BHP, so I'm going to put it on the list as #2.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm pretty sure the Vette
made less - around 180 bhp or something, right?  And
so did the Ferrari 308, but I could be wrong...  I'm
also pretty sure that the Countach was not officially
imported, but I'm unsure of the Ferrari 512BB, which -
if it was officially sold that year, definitely makes
the list.  So at BEST, I have 3.  Did Mercedes-Benz
still offically import the 6.9 at that point?  Could
that be the fourth?

Anyone have any idea?

=====
Paul Misencik