Re: MGCeeing

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGCeeing
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:18:43 -0700
on 8/17/03 8:51 AM, WSpohn4@aol.com at WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:

> The other thing that I notice (and had forgotten) is the much higher seating
> position in the MGB/C than in the MGA. It's like the B was designed for people
> 5 feet tall, and anyone else is looking out just under the top rail of the
> windshield. I have driven racing MGBs which have the seats dropped a few
> inches
> between the tunnel and outer box section, and the seating done that way makes
> you feel like you are sitting in, rather than on the car. I much prefer the
> MGA seating. Does anyone else find this bothersome (the later seats may be
> better - it's been a long time since I've ridden in a late model CBB, and I
> try to
> avoid contact with any RB cars for fear it might be contagious)?

Hmm, my impression is that you sit much higher in the MGA than in an MGB!
That is, if you measure from the ground. I personally felt I was in danger
of falling out of the MGA -- I never get that feeling in my B. It's just
that the MGB windshield is ridiculously short, so, yes, you wind up looking
through the top bar if you are average height or above. Raking the seat back
helps some.

Another factor is that the replacement seat foams seem to be either thicker
or stiffer, raising the seating position. The combination of a new diaphragm
with a new bottom foam can make a 2 or 3 inch difference compared to old
broken-in seats. A lot of people cut down the new foam before they install
it. Maybe you should try that on your C.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149