Re: MGB 8 Track player... freebie

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB 8 Track player... freebie
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:34:44 -0700 (PDT)
Tab Julius SEZ -
> It was made for an MG?  Would it really fit in the dash??  Those things
> were huge.

When I bought my 68 MGB in 77, I looked into what was at the time
the state of the art car stereo.  Made by (maybe? Pioneer or Kenwood?)
it was a "Bi-Amp" receiver (one amp for treble, one for bass) which
had an 8-track deck in it.  I measured it and found it would clear
the heater box by about 1/8 inch.  I never bought it because other
priorities were competing for the ~$250 it cost.  But an 8-track
player is much simpler than a cassette player, so it's not much
larger if well designed.

BTW, in triaging out my garage for the arrival of the restored MGA,
I've found several tapes I'll gladly send to anyone who wants them
for the cost of shipping:

Columbia PCA-33050      Santana         Greatest Hits
A&M 8T-4637             Styx            The Grand Illusion
Columbia PCA-34164      Blu Oeyster Clt Agents of Fortune
Jet/UA  UA-EA679-H      ELO             New World Record
Capitol 8X3C-11593      Wings           Wings Over America part 2/2

These were never enjoyed (yet) in an MG, but were regular fare in
my parents' 74 Ford LTD station wagon (when they let me drive it)
and my best friend's 64-1/2 Mustang.

--
David Breneman                     | "Far and away the best prize that
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  life offers is the chance to