Re: Jiffy Lube, et. al.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jiffy Lube, et. al.
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 13:40:56 -0500
It can be advantages to lift the weight of the car off the front when
greasing the king pin and swivel link portions.

When the weight of the vehicle is on the king pins and swivel links, it
is harder to get grease to the areas actually under compression and
load.  By jacking up the vehicle, the pressure between those critical
points is relieved which could increase the ability of the grease to
move into the areas under pressure where it is most needed.

I like to jack up the vehicle so that the weight is almost off the
vehicles tires and give the swivel pins a few shots.  I then jack it all
of the way up so the suspension hits the bump stops.  This moves the
pressure to the oposite side of the assembly.  I then give the swivel
pin zerks (grease nipples) a few more shots.

Blake