RE: Brake Bleeding Tools

To: "'Eugene Balinski'" <eugeneb@nni.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Bleeding Tools
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:46:06 -0500
Gene,

Many times have I used the MityVac to bleed TD and other brakes.

This applies suction to the bleed nipple at the slave cylinders. Two
comments:

1) You may find it easier to use the EZ Bleed system which forces fluid back
into the slave and thence into the master. This has two advantages and one
disadvantage. A) The master cylinder will not be bled dry (although you can
get overflow). B) You avoid the problem of sucking air in around the bleed
nipple as is the case with the MityVac. The disadvantage is that the
standard TD master cylinder cap is not one supplied with the kit so you must
purchase a spare and drill it for the required pipe to the EZ Bleed.

2) The MityVac WILL work, but you get a lot of air typically sucked in
around the bleed nipple. Therefore, it is difficult to judge when you have a
complete air evacuaction. The best solution for this is to apply a thick
grease around the bleed nipple threads before you start. This eliminates
most of the air leak. After that it's pretty easy.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Lew Palmer