Re: Tires

To: "Dennis" <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:57:57 -0400
Dennis Cox wrote:

> Now there is the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 195/65HR14.

I have used the RE950s on two vehicles, and was very happy with the decision
to use them.  I put the Potenza RE950s on my old '97 VW Jetta, in almost the
same size (195/60R14), and they transformed the car from the previous set of
tires (Continental Touring tires or something).  I also replaced the OEM
Michelins that came on my 2002 Jetta because I experienced one sidewall
failure (@ 5000 miles) with the Michelins and extreme tread wear (under
15000 miles) on another of the tires.  At $155 a tire, the Michelins were
not worth sticking with.  I switched to the Potenza RE950s on that car,
although that Jetta had 15" wheels.  Both cars benefited from improved
response and feedback, the road noise was actually improved, and cornering
ability was greatly improved.  I was very happy with the wet weather
capability of the RE950s as well.

After a series of non-tire related bad luck incidents, I traded the '02
Jetta for a new '03 one... and went with the sport suspension and 17"
wheels.  I only have 8500 miles on the '03, and so far the Goodyear rubber
is holding up well, so I have not made the switch to Potenzas.

I talked my VW salesman into putting Potenza RE950s on his 1998 Jetta, also
in the 195/60R14 size.  He was delighted with the recommendation and
decision.

Kai