Re: Identify NAMGAR GT-28 Pictures?

To: David Breneman <idcb@airborne.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Identify NAMGAR GT-28 Pictures?
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:04:06 -0500
David Breneman wrote:

> Rocky Frisco SEZ -
>
>>I have the Realist, a prewar Sawyer Viewmaster Camera and the Fuji
>>experimental split-screen system from the 70's.
>>
>>These days, I rarely use the cameras, but I do crossed-eyes freeviewing
>>pix and animations with Ray Dream Studio 5.5.
>

> Really?  That's great!  I always wanted a View Master camera,
> but now that production has been moved from Portland to Mexico
> people are having trouble getting the empty reels.  The stereo
> toy I'd really like to find is a 3D attachment for my Bolex,
> but they're pretty expensive, have a vertical aspect ratio,
> and then you've got to spend close to $80 for 100' of film!

Yes, my problem was with the vertical aspect. I shot hundreds of photos
at the World Symposium on Humanity in L. A. in 1979, as staff
photographer. About 10% of the photos were with a similar system to the
3D attachment you mention. Actually, it worked well there, since most of
the photos were of people and mostly individuals, so the vertical aspect
was normal for that. It really sucks for scenic stuff, though. I
actually know a fairly canny photog who made the hilarious error of
trying to get around the aspect problem by turning the camera on its
side. The pictures were just fine, but you had to "lie down on your
side" to see them in 3D, as it were.     ;)

The Sawyer cameras do occasionally show up on eBay, but are normally
pretty expensive. If you do find one, I highly recommend you get the
later (though still pre-war) model that has the diagonal film-path. The
older model utilizes the film a bit more efficiently, but requires that
you reload the film after resetting the film path, which is a PITA.

Here's a link to a cross-eyes 3D animation of my Mini Cooper, created in
Ray Dream Studio:

http://www.theluggage.net/luganim4.htm

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--