Re: Why no MGs?

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Why no MGs?
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:44:25 -0500
Paul M. wrote:

>>And a Midget *is* being discussed and
>>MG Rover aren't denying.  But none of
>>them are likely to reach
>>North America.
>

> What's the official reason why MG isn't planning a
> return to North America?  They seem to have a very
> appealing range of cars, and they wouldn't have to
> come back with ALL of them.  I mean, I can understand
> companies like Renault (whose model range doesn't
> really "translate" well into North America) and Alfa
> Romeo (who would be battling one of the worst image
> problems in US automotive history, right when they can
> afford failure the least), and maybe even Peugeot
> (who's tepid attempts to sell cars toward the end of
> their US presence included primarily their
> least-appealing models), but why not MG?

Scale, I think. To get into America is a huge proposition.
Setting up sales channels, dealerships, parts, etc., etc.,
etc. Is daunting. They need to study the Koreans as to how
they did it.

French cars are way to 'French' to appeal to main stream US
consumers.

Alfa is coming back. It's been delayed a couple of times now,
but GM, being a part owner is bringing them back. At first,
it was going to be 2005, but now I think they're looking at
2007. I see the pictures of there current models, and many of
them look great. Some of them are a bit extreme for my tastes.

The last time I was at the June Sprints (3 years ago maybe) there
were a couple of new Alfa's there. Imported by a Milwaukee dealer.
They looked really nice.

Not as nice as the ZT and ZT-T at MG2001, of course.

> It strikes me that some of the sporting small sedans
> that MG builds - even more so than the TF - could
> carve out a small but highly profitable niche market
> here.  As far as I know there is no negative brand
> awareness to overcome (as there would be for Peugeot,
> Renault and Alfa Romeo).  Sell one "halo" car over
> here for a little while, build killer brand awareness
> through that and things like the IRL and IMSA racing
> programs, and then start broadening the product line.

What does the ZS have that the Focus, Neon, Impressa, etc.
doesn't have? Other than an Octagon. Can a ZR compete with
an Acura?

MG does have a negative brand awareness to overcome. The
off-dim-flicker from the Prince of Darkness and constant
oil leaks are what people remember when they talk about
MGs they owned in the old days. They do remember that
fondly, perhaps. And Jaguar, perhaps has helped to give
the public the idea that British Cars quality is much
improved.

--
    ______
   /    _ \   Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com>