Re: mgb overdrive

To: "Richard" <ramsmgb@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mgb overdrive
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:58:08 +0100
When you replaced the solenoid did you catch and refit the little
ball-bearing on the end of the shaft?  Did you check the continuity and
operation of the new solenoid before fitting it?  With the LH type at least
you are very unlikely to hear the solenoid operating, when energised it
simply moves into the middle of its travel i.e. doesn't hit an end-stop to
make a noise, and when you de-energise it it only moves away from the
central position from the oil pressure generated when the gearbox is driving
it, so even if it does then hit an end-stop you are unlikely to hear
anything over other noises.  Both my LH solenoids measure about 180 so you
could check for this to ground (gearbox in 4th, manual switch off) at the
bullet connector between the main and gearbox looms near the fusebox (yellow
to yellow/red), or part that connector, put a test-lamp in series, and with
the ignition on, manual switch on, gearbox in 4th, it should glow.  If those
tests are OK it is mechanical and internal.

PaulH.