Re: mgb overdrive

To: ramsmgb@cox.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb overdrive
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:39:00 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/03 3:05:18 PM, ramsmgb@cox.net writes:

<< I have a 1972 with an original Laycock overdrive and od gearbox. I had
the overdrive fail recently. It was working intermittently. I have
replaced the isolation switch, all the o rings, sump filter, and the
solenoid. It worked intermittently after I replaced the isolation
switch, but now nothing. All the wiring checks hot down to the solenoid
with the ignition key on, the overdrive switch on, and the gearbox in
4th.

Any ideas? >>

Just to eliminate this from the list of possible causes, what sort of oil are
you running in the tranny?  ODs hate multi-grade, prefer 30W or, in my case
on recommendation of a local MG shop, 40W.  I once put multi-grade in my tranny
to "help" it and it responded by refusing to fully engage the OD.  A switch
back cured it.
I hope it is something simple like that.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT w/OD
66 Mustang