Light flywheels and pressure plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Light flywheels and pressure plates
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:39:20 -0700
The next gofast part that I plan to purchase for Jasmine (Supercharged
MGBGT) is a light flywheel. The Fidanzas seem to run around $320, I'm
still shopping around. I'm looking for people who have personal
experience with light flywheels, preferably on performance tuned MGBs,
or similar cars.  I've heard the theories  (a pound offf the flywheel
is like 3 pounds off the body, you'll wear your clutch out in a week
and a half). What are your personal experiences with lighter
flywheels?

Did it make the car unstreetable?
If you drive the car on the track what was the difference in laptimes,
or any other _measurable_ performance difference?
What did you like or dislike about it?

If I'm spending lots of money on a lighter flywheel, does it make
sense to spend money on a pressure plate as well? They are a lot
smaller in diameter so the polar moment should be a lot less. What
pressure plates do people reccomend?

I'm also running the ford Sierra type 9 fivespeed, are there any
particular reccomended friction disks?

With a proper cam for the blower, I'm hoping to get 110-120 hp at the
wheels. I briefly saw 110 on the dyno with my ported heaed.

The car will be a daily driver that will likely be taken out to the
racetrack 5-15 times a year.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.