Re: RE warped rotor

To: mg <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RE warped rotor
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:09:54 +1030
"mghirsch" wrote:

> > One sobering thought I recently read was that your car could splash
> > through a big puddle on your first outing with your new rotors, or
> > as they stated "on your way home from the new car dealer" and you
> > would have warped rotors !

Wow!  That makes the brakes seem pretty fragile!

The only time I ever warped a rotor (stock standard rotor) was through
absolute abuse.  Huge 205/60*14 tyres "wrapped around" the brakes
restricting airflow - no fresh-air ducting - and repeated heavy braking
on a hot day on a race-track.  Front left rotor warped and next time
around scared the heck out of me braking hard from 90mph.

Never warped a rotor washing the car/wheels (some say because I don't do
it often enough) or driving through puddles after long drives at speed.

I now have slotted/grooved/cross-drilled rotors that, if nothing else,
give me peace of mind (justified or not).

I have seen the results of a shattered brake disk under heavy braking
that made a 350 Ferrari (not an F1 racecar) in a support race do a
sudden left turn into a wall about a hundred yards down from me working
trackside at the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix a couple of years ago.  Scary
stuff (but proved we can all duck really, really quickly).

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII