Re: RE warped rotor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE warped rotor
From: Eric <eric@internode.com.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:55:57 +0930
On Thursday, Oct 9, 2003, at 08:57 Australia/Adelaide, Jim Evans wrote:

> I ran a commercial muffler & brake shop for over 8 years...and I find
> no fault
> with the earlier comments about warping from water and other
> unsuspected
> causes...

I have no argument with the fact that pouring cold water on a hot brake
disk is not a good thing (and has the potential for all sorts of
damage) but I also believe that these exposed components are generally
designed for this sort of punishment if not taken to an extreme.  Water
splashes would be part of the everyday life of a rotor on millions of
cars - but how many people end up with warped rotors?

All I am suggesting is that "driving home from the dealer" and running
through a puddle should not cause panic attacks for most people -
depending on the manner of "driving home" and the nature of the route
"home".

My story was to illustrate that I drove HARD on a racetrack (our track
at Mallala is recognised as a HARD BRAKING track) for years on
stock/original/30-year-old disks - and more than a few long interstate
road trips at speed and in all sorts of weather - without warping a
rotor and that it was only extreme abuse that did the trick.  I was
simply suggesting that "normal" use should not cause problems unless
there was a manufacturing fault/weakness there in the first place.

Of course, your local spare-parts shop stocks many makes/models of
rotors for a reason - so there is no denying that rotors DO warp, but I
would not generally consider them a fragile component.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia