RE: Polishing paint

To: List MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Polishing paint
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:09:50 -0500
> Unless you are bringing back tired paint I really don't think they are
> needed.  I was bought one (as a gift, I would never have
> bought one for
> myself even for paint restoration) and the instructions say
> they are to be
> used for putting the polish on, not polishing it off, hence
> my comment.  I
> find just hand application of polish on cellulose gets more
> than enough
> colour off and a good shine and water bobbling when hand polished off.

For old technology paints, hand work can be sufficient, as the paints
are much softer.  For modern paints though, you're working with a much
harder material.

We're also talking about removing fine scratches and spiderwebbing, such
that you end up with a show car finish.

A DA can be great for removing the residue from your wax/sealant.  There
are microfiber bonnets available for this purpose.  Another trick a 3M
rep showed me was to fold a microfiber cloth to the size of your foam
pad, place the cloth on the car, and then the pad over the cloth.  Then
you're using the motion of the DA to move the cloth around.  Works
great.