plug gap

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: plug gap
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:53:47 -0500
I  now have the HIF's out of the 74 parts car installed in the 79B. I have
not hooked up the exhaust pipe to the manifold yet; just in case I need to
remove everything again. It starts and runs pretty well considering I
haven't touched the carb settings after the rebuild, but there seems to be
an excess of smoke coming from the manifold/carb area. In fact after I shut
it off a steady stream of smoke comes out of the front carb for a minute or
so. Does the manifold gasket smoke quite a bit until it gets the "new" burnt
off?
I haven't run it over 3-4 minutes total yet-just enough that the temp gauge
came off of cold, since I drained the coolant and am in the process of
refilling it.
I think the manifold is on tight. Could the smoke be due to the plug gap? I
still have them gapped at .035, should I now change this to .025? I pulled
one spark plug and it was pretty black.
Thanks,
Monte