Compression Ratio

To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compression Ratio
From: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:03:17 -0500
Group,
        I have a '74 B with a stock engine (rebuilt just before I bought the
car).  I
would like to put a decent performance cam in it, but I realize that overlap
and low CR don't mix.  The head will eventually have to come off for hardened
valve seats (no overdrive & lots of highway driving).  My question is can I
raise the compression ratio sufficiently, with only head milling, to be able
to run a quarter to a half race cam ???  I'm not interested in an emissions
type performance cam with very little overlap - these make good horsepower but
not good lower RPM torque.  I'd be looking for a cam that makes peak power
about 5500RPM and has as much overlap as the stock cylinder head & stock
exhaust manifold design will support   If I find the right cam, I might talk
myself into headers.  :)

Thanks,  Skip '74B