Help! Something is killing my new Battery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Something is killing my new Battery
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:51:20 EST
Hi,

                                                                     I guess
I jumped the gun & patted myself on the back rather prematurely. After
removing  the "old" alternator and replacing it with a brand new Lucas unit, I
thought, "Well, that was easy! So far, so good!"  Then I realized that I still
had a
big problem! A diode that I didn't know was even there, had to be spliced
back onto the new "tickler" wire (which is always "hot") w/o being spliced into
the "tickler" lead the battery would go dead overnight (actually in about 3 1/2
hours according to the clock in the dash!) Also, so that the hot "tickler"
lead didn't bleed the battery by dead by letting it short itself out. Trouble
is, even though I eventually realized that the "zenar" diode had to be
replaced,
and I did reinstall the same diode that was on the alternator that I'd
removed.  Question: If the old Diode is shorted or burned out, would this cause
the
brand new battery (with an 84 mo. guarantee) to go dead overnight (or in 3 1/2
hours), which it did much to my dismay!! Also, where would I get a
replacement Diode? I've looked in every parts book and catalog for the MGB that
I have
to no avail, where would I find it? (the Diode) do you think that an ectronics
store like Frys or Radio Shack would carry it? And how about finwhat exactly
would I ask for? Does the diode have a name? I was told by a person who replied
to my original question that its called a "Zenar" diode. But that's all I
know about it!! Please couild somebody help me. Would an Auto Electric Shop be
the place to go? Or is it a realitively easy fix to find and isolate a short or
electrical malfunction that his drained my battery twice in the last couple of
days. Once again...HELP!
Albert Escalante, owner-1978 MGB
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)