RE: Vintage License Plates [cameras OT]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vintage License Plates [cameras OT]
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:56:43 -0600
> I personally can't get too worked up about this "infringement
> of personal
> freedom"... if you don't run red lights, you won't get
> busted. But that's
> just me... maybe some people like to run red lights as a
> matter of course...

I suppose you're happy to have the FBI snooping through your library
records without a court order as well....

As has already been mentioned, the problem is that these systems are
tweaked in order to generate certain amounts of revenue.  Not enough
people running red lights?  We'll just change the settings to nail them.

I don't make it a habit of running lights, but there are also times when
circumstances dictate it's the safest course of action.  In those
situations a police officer can see the circumstances and decide that it
was warranted.  A camera can't.

There have also been plenty of problems with other methods of photo
enforcement, where someone somewhere assigns the violation to the wrong
vehicle, and that person has a terrible time having to prove their
innocence.