Re: '74 GT

To: "Roger Los" <roger@los.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '74 GT
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:40:01 -0000
All good stuff at the pedal end, then.  Any wear in the slave mechanicals is
compensated for in exactly the same as wear in the friction plate, release
bearing and operating fork.  If the hydraulics are new then I would suspect
insufficient bleeding, and I would expect some free movement of the clutch
pedal before the slave piston starts moving if only for the distance the
master piston has to move before it covers up the hole from the reservoir
and starts applying pressure.  And in practice, unless the clearances
between the clevis pin, master pushrod and pedal really are non existent,
these also have to be taken up as well.  The master pushrod should only go
back so far before the clip inside the bore stops it, but the return spring
on the pedal will continue to pull back the pedal to take up whatever
clearances there are.  I'd check that the master piston really is returning
all the way, if it isn't you will be getting a short stroke and a low pedal.
If the slave piston really is moving as soon as the pedal starts moving I
would expect more than 1/2" to 5/8" of travel one normally gets.  Any
longitudinal movement of the crank will tend to push the slave piston a bit
further back into its bore, meaning this also has to be taken up by slave
movement before the clutch starts releasing and will result in disengagement
being closer to the floor.  I'd drive the car a bit and knock it out of
gear, then see if you can manually move the release fork back and fore
applying gentle pressure (hard pressure pushing the slave piston into its
cylinder will displace fluid into the master).  If there is little travel
there then it has to be a problem in the bellhousing, either incorrect
components or incorrect assembly.

PaulH.