Re: '74 GT

To: "Roger Los" <roger@los.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '74 GT
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:45:56 -0700
I can certainly agree with this because that is exactly what happened to
me. Pedal was fine with normal resistance, all seemed normal except for a
slight squeal which I had ignored, and then that rememberable day when I
exited the Interstate, pressed the clutch pedal, and suddenly I had lost
the clutch resistance - the slave piston had popped out. I had to remove
the transmission and the clutch - the release bearing had worn to the metal
and the metal part on the pressure plate that it pushes on was also
completely worn. At least now I know what to look for when inspecting a
pressure plate.

My guess would be air in the line. I have also seen the worn clevis pin/
master push-rod on two different MGs on the clutch master cylinder (never
seen it on the brake master though). So that would be worth a look.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B