Re: Heritage Body Shells

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heritage Body Shells
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:19:55 -0500
Hmmmm.... I have a 68-74 BMH body shell in the crate waiting for me
since 1991. (Bought it with my cigarette money -- I never smoked) Just
got two parts cars to go with it '68 and '69.

I heard that there were lots of troubles getting parts to fit on them,
but later got the drift that that was common with the earlier ones w/o
hood, trunk, doors, etc., but not the fully assembled ones. This one is
complete and everything looks to fit perfect -- no shipping damage, no
dings, etc.

Any comments on folks having trouble getting mechanical parts to fit? I
heard there was a problem with the windshield posts but a little filing
  of the sheet metal solves the problem.

Seems to me the crate was about $250.00 back then.

I also have '73 driver that needs floors and sills. You have to do the
front fender below the chrome with the sills, and it's full of bondo
around the rear wheel wells, so probably a full rear half fender repair
panel below the chrome back to the tail lights while I'm at it.

Maybe needs a new drivers front fender while I'm at it too -- fits
kind'a funny. Needs a new interior. Pops out of third gear sometimes.
Gears feel funny when you shift it. Differential gear oil is full of
brass metallic. Engine sounds kind'a rattley -- faint sound of a worn
bottom end -- probably needs rebuilt.

Hmmm... what's left... Starts to sound a whole lot like a full blown
body shell restoration.

Doesn't seem so simple and easy, or w/o cost.

The car looks great at 15 feet, but.... then I turn around and down at
the other end of the garage is the brand new, in the crate, BMH body
shell and the BMH body shell starts to look pretty good.

But if I lived in southern CA rather than salty up state NY, maybe I
would have a different perspective on things. Any of you CA guys ever
seen the size of a NY state salt truck? Lots of salt...

:-)

Don Malling