RE: Front Cross Member Question

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: RE: Front Cross Member Question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:35:23 -0800
Skip:

The whole cross member ride height issue is very interesting, and I've spent
quite a bit of time researching it.  Nobody is perfect and my wife can attest
to the number of mistakes I make, but here goes.  Learned contradictions are
appreciated.

The "rubber bumper" front cross member is actually the cross member originally
fitted on the V8 cars.  There is a 3/4-1" hollow pad built into the mounting
location where the 4 big bolts go through.  The steering column is also moved
forward and sits with  (guesstimate) about 2" of air space between the rack and
the crossmember (as viewed from above).

Your early 74 chrome bumper car will not have this type of cross member, but
the easy thing to check is your steering U joint.  The raised height cross
member has a much longer steering shaft and the U joint is recessed into the
fire wall to clear the V8 engine.

What the factory ended up doing in September 74 was to use the MGB V8 sheet
metal, steering column, rack and a LHD version of the crossmember (note early
crossmembers are not handed, the rubber bumper nee V8 ones are).  To add insult
to injury, the NA cars also got taller sprngs and the front sway bar was
deleted.  (a couple of thoughts here.  I've seen it was deleted for cost and
weight.  I think this was a cost issue, as the bar had to be redesigned for the
higher NA ride height.  More research is needed here, as I don't think the UK
cars had the tall springs, just the higher perches, input you UK fellows?)

Interesting stuff happened on the back of the car too.  The MGBV8 (CB)had the
front leaf spring perches lifted to raise the back of the car level with the
front.  The NA spec cars had both the front and back perches raised to level
with the taller front springs.

So in quick answer to your question.  The only CB car that got the raised cross
member was the MGB GT V8.  Your  memory of tall 1974 chrome bumper MGBs is
probably due to the silly looking overriders throwing the proportions off, or
the 1/2" taller BHH1225 front springs that were installed from Aug 1972-74.5.

By the by, most 62-67 cars have worn out springs and sit so low you end up
replacing the exhaust every other year.  Personally on a street car I get fed
up of having to cross parking lot humps cross ways.  It really freaks out the
cart pushing shoppers when they see a car waggling across the parking lot.

But then, who am i to talk.  The only B that I can drive at the moment is 2"
lower than a stock Chrome B.  My 79 with bumpers off looks like it should have
locking hubs in contrast.

Kelvin.