Re: Painting questions

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting questions
From: <libhart@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:27:54 -0500
Paul:

Have painted both of my MG's with great results.  Here are my recommendations -
others might say differently based on some personal preferences.

a. HVLP! - high vloume of material with lower pressure and thus, less
overspray.  DeVilbiss, Binks, or Craftsman.

b. For the do-it-yourself job, I highly recommend a single stage acrylic
enamel.  I use DuPont Centari single-stage, with their 793S hardener.  Lays
down nice, heavily pigmented, and can easily be color sanded, compounded, and
polished for a pro finish.

c. Sprayed finishes = lethal!  Buy a high quality respirator and WEAR it all of
the time.  Also wear eye protection!

d. If you take car down to bare metal, use an etching primer first, then
regular primer that fills/sands, then last coat is a sealer before painting.
Always BE SURE to use all products from same mfr. to ensure compatibility and
full adhesion.

e. A gallon of paint will easilly do an MGB. For me, I used 2 qts. sealer, a
gallon of primer, and a gallon of acrylic enamel.  You'll also need to by a
quart of the hardener, some reducer, and lacquer thinner for clean-up or
thinning the primer.  The sealer shoots from the can with no reduction.

f. painting is just the first step.  Be sure to apply two to 3 coats, then when
cured approx. one to two weeks you can color sand, then compound, and final
polish.  I recommend a good DA polisher for this work.  You then should wait
approx. two months to apply first coat of wax.

Good luck!

Martin Libhart
72 MGB/GT
77 MGB