Re: Straight 40/my final post

To: ccrobins@ktc.com (Charles & Peggy Robinson)
Subject: Re: Straight 40/my final post
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:57:54 -0500
I swear, this is the last time I will write about this subject.  Last night I
checked the handbook that came with my '68 GT when I bought it new, the
handbook being the only part of the car to have survived a sudden T-bone
encounter with a Pontiac in '78.  In it is a list of recommended oils by brand
name and weight, grouping the engine and tranny in the same column.  In short,
we're both right, which means I'm more wrong in saying that single-weight was
preferred for the tranny.  It specifies both multi-grade and straight 40W for
temperate climates, which covers most of us.  Some brands it favored 10W40,
others 20W50, some 10W30.  Maybe that was all that was available in those
brands.  But what struck me was that for the single-weight oil it tended to
favor 40W.  I used 30W when the car was new, but then again I was in Savannah
at the time, and the heat may have made me go thinner.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang