Re: spin-on oil filter adapters (long)

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: spin-on oil filter adapters (long)
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:01:16 -0600
Hi Larry,

    I've used both the OEM types, have the hanging one (460-915) on my
'69 now.  I thought that I wouldn't have the drain-back problem with it
that you get with the inverted type. Hah, vast plans....  I keep getting
a drip from the bolt that holds the adapter onto the block.  I've
replaced the O-ring and copper washer, doubled the O-ring, you name a
way to try to seal it, I've tried it.  The damned thing still leaks.  I
suppose the oil runs out of the main galleries, because If the car sits
unrun for a couple of days, the rods clatter on start-up, unless I crank
the engine for 15 seconds or so before I choke it and let it start.  It
was the same when I had the inverted spin-on filter (460-910) on it.

    As far as changing filters goes, it's sort of a trade-off between
making a mess and ease of unscrewing the filter.  When you back off the
inverted filter, oil runs out of it and gets on the engine.  The hanging
filter is hard to get a filter wrench on.  Then you have to juggle it to
   keep from spilling the oil and some oil runs out of the adapter anyway.

   The (460-915) that Moss used to sell has the oil cooler hose
attachment pointing towards the rear of the car, 'bout 8 0'clock when
viewed from above.  I think that adapter was used on later cars that
didn't have an oil cooler, just a short hose from the rear of the block
to the adapter.  You have to use a longer hose from the cooler and route
it along the fender panel, then loop it back onto the rearward-facing
connection point on the adapter.

    I've been thinking of going back to the inverted cannister filter
that was on the engine when I bought the car; its adapter has a drain
plug on the bottom of it.  I just haven't researched the availability of
the filter element yet.

    Didn't think you'd get a book for an answer, did you?  ;^)  That oil
drip is the only peeve I have about my B.

    Cheers,

     CR