Re: Armstrongs (was: Rear Shock Kit)

To: aaronw@wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Armstrongs (was: Rear Shock Kit)
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:13:15 -0500
Aaron,
   When I read your message I immediately wondered how anyone could not
know to check fluid levels in the Armstrongs.  "Everyone knows that"
"It's in the book"
   You're right---it's not in the book, at least it's not in the handbook
that came with my 1972 GT, and it's not in the handbook section
reproduced in green-cover Bentley either.  That's surprising to me, since
reference is made in TD literature in several places, and I just
'assumed' (what that word does for us....) that it was in the MGB
literature also.  And it's not there.   I did note that shock absorbers
were included in the exchange part list, and also noted that an upper
cylinder lubricant was mentioned in a maintenance chart, but nothing
about the dampers, either checking their fluid level, checking their
action, or periodically tighening their mounting bolts.  One would assume
that they are maintenance free. And they are not.
   Thanks for pointing out this omission.
Bob

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:30:03 -0800 Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
writes:
> On Nov 13, 2003, at 9:48 PM, WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>
> > You'd be amazed how many people have no idea that you are supposed
>> to  check and top up Armstrongs as a matter of course.
>
> Is this really the case?  My owner's manual doesn't mention it, and
> the Bentley book for 75-80 just barely glosses over (check for leaks).
>
>  From the appearance of the documentation, the Armstrongs were meant
> to be maintenance-free.  I know that I only replaced the oil in one of
> mine because it leaked.  Since I replaced them with rebuilds from
WWAP,