Camshaft timing offset

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Camshaft timing offset
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:56:48 -0800
The new cam for my supercharged motor will need to be offset 5
degrees. There are two options, an offset key for about $15 or a
vernier timing guage for about $200.

The cam was ground by Elgin, so I would expect that the timing on it
would be exactly 5 degrees offset rather than +/- a skosh. So, I'd
pretty much expect that everything will be just fine and dandy. On the
other hand, if I do it with a key, then I can't change or fine tune
the cam timing without ordering another key etc. I'm also putting
together a big order to take advantage of the discount so if I'm going
to buy the expensive vernier gear, I should do it now.

What is the wisdom, or experience of the list on these two means of
adjusting cam timing?

I may have asked this already, but if I do want to adjust the cam
timing after everything is assembled, it would be a lot easier with a
timing cover that has a removable plate over the cam gear (this, of
course would only work with a vernier timing gear). Are these
available commercially? Has anyone made something like this and had it
work without leaking? Nominally, I could take my timing cover, cut a
hole in the proper place then make a plate that screwed on to the
front, taking care to seal it well with RTV or the like. This way, if
I were tuning the motor on the dyno and decided I needed to modify the
cam timing, I could just undo this plate and access the cam (OK, I'd
have to take off all sorts of belts, but I wouldn't have to go through
the contortions required to pull the dampner pulley).

Is this a clever idea, or just another case of my being too clever for
my own good?

--
                   Girling is not a verb.