Re: Torque Wrench

To: Ron Fine <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Torque Wrench
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:47:22 -0600
Ron Fine wrote:

> I need to buy an new torque wrench to work on my Healey and MGB.  My old
> one was a cheap one that gave up the ghost a long time ago.  Any
> suggestions?  The torque wrenches I've seen can be divided into 3/8 inch
> and 1/2 inch drive and between low torque range and higher torque range.
>  All are at least $150.00.  Because of the anticipate cost I would like
> to get as universal a wrench as possible to cover most or all of the
> applications I will need it for in rebuilding my engines.  Any

Those damned click things have ruined many an engine, since sometimes
they don't work right and you end up overtorquing.

I won't use anything but a bend-beam torque wrench, since they can't go
wrong and you can instantly check that they are in calibration. If the
relaxed beam is centered, it's calibrated!

I would be very surprised to find that a good Craftsman 1/2" drive one
would cost more than about $35, although this is a guess.

-Rock
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us