Help with steering please

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help with steering please
From: BarrMark262@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:04:36 EST
Hi List: 1974 B. Reassembly of steering components:

I am having trouble with the alignment between the steering shaft from the
front suspension and the steering wheel shaft. The steering wheel shaft is
vertically in line, but is about 3/4 of an inch below the plane of the
suspension
steering shaft. When I levered them to accept the knuckled connector, there was
so much torque on the two that the steering shaft would not turn.
The knuckle assembly feels ok when not attached to the shafts, but it will
not freely attach to allow for free steering.
What have I done wrong?
I am using the thick washers as my disassembly photos show, but I don't know
how to proceed.
One of the shafts is not aligned, but I do not see that I am missing any
shims, so don't know which one to work on.
The suspension shaft only clears the u nderside of the engine mount by 1/4
inch, so I guess I can't do much with that.

Thank you for any help.

Dennis