Re: Speedometer...welcome back Rick, glad to have ya back!

To: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer...welcome back Rick, glad to have ya back!
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 20:21:44 -0600
<<<snip>>>
I recall reading/hearing (on the list maybe?) that using grease onto
cable
is not a particularly good thing...that is traps dirt and grit and then
can
'catch' on the inside of the housing causing the needle to jump around.
<<<snip>>>
That's Correct!

<<<snip>>>
Rather, I will be trying dri-slide upon reassembly of my A as the speedo
needle has done some jumping around since I greased it some years ago.
<<<snip>>>

After thoroughly cleaning cable and inside the housing I've used dry
powdered graphite.  I believe there is also a cable lube, which is
nothing more than graphite in a quick drying petroleum based vehicle.
I've also seen some lock lubricant which is practically the same thing.
It has a liquid vehicle to spray or squirt on which evaporates leaving
behind the graphite.

Blake