alternator light

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator light
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:31:25 -0600
A few weeks ago was the last time I drove the 79 after installing a new
battery.  As I was nearing home the alternator light came on and stayed on.
A few days ago, I took the HIF carbs off to adjust a float that was too
high, reinstalled them and tried to start the car. The fuel pump (SIU) is
now not pumping. I rapped on the pump from underneath a few times to no
avail and am going to start to try to track down the problem in the next few
days. I suppose I will start by looking at the pump points, but I could use
a few other pointers, especially dealing with the alternator. Could the
alternator light being on have anything to do with the fuel pump problem?
Thanks,
Monte