Rear tail lights not working again/wiring 101

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear tail lights not working again/wiring 101
From: "Scott Regel" <Scott.Regel@dpra.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:02:58 -0600
I have recently been edgycated in wiring 101 thanks to Rick.  But I can
not figure out what the heck is wrong with my rear tail lights.  I have
a 76 B that seems to suffer from chronic lack of rear lights.  The brake
lights work, headlights work...I'm not sure about the rear turn signal.
But this seems to happen all the time.  I've cleaned the connectors,
fuse box, giggled and wiggled wires too.  It will sometimes just start
working again and then stop.  I know it sounds like a short some where.
It was a balmy night in Gaithersburg, MD last night so the dog and I
took a cruise with the top down.  Then I noticed at a light that I had
no rear lights (reflection off the vehicle behind me wasn't there).  So
I had to disappoint the dog and myself and head home.  Any insight?
Something I am missing?  Is there a better method of tracking down the
problem with a volt meter (which I have but don't have a clue how to
use!)?  It is suppose to be 60 here today!  TIA!

Happy Holidays!

Scott and Spot