MGA with Volvo Engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA with Volvo Engine
From: William T Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:53:08 -0500
I am looking at purchasing a 1958 MGA that is in really good condition.
The down side is that the engine and tranny have been replaced with an
early 1960's 1800cc Volvo drivetrain. Other than the obvious decrease in
worth, can anyone think of major problems with such a purchase if the
price is right. I have an 18GA engine and 3-synchro tranny which could be
rebuilt and installed, or I could probably also find the proper 1500 MGA
drivetrain as well.

The Volvo engine looks surprisingly similar to my MGB's engine with the
major exception being placement of the twin SU's (passenger side) and
spark plugs (driver's side).

Can anyone venture a dollar figure guess on devaluation?

Thanks to all.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB
'72 BGT