Dead MGB - Answer To MGB Quiz

To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dead MGB - Answer To MGB Quiz
From: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:06:53 -0500
Group,

Memory Refresher
        Symptoms - Ran perfectly (at least for my car) above about 4000 RPM.
No miss
or hesitation.  Absolutely would not run at all below about 3500 RPM (acted
like the key was turned off).
Answer:
        I could only come up with two things that could cause the above
condition.
Both of these would have to have occurred while the engine was above approx.
4000 RPM.  I was going down the interstate at about 4200 RPM in fourth and
didn't know I had a problem until I began to back off the throttle.
                Centrifugal advance stuck fully advanced.
                Massive vacuum leak.
        It was the vacuum leak.  The casting plug on the front of the intake
manifold
(at the end of the cross-over tube) had fallen out !!!
        Side note:  Paid the Saturn dealer (where the car was towed) to replace
the
fuel pump (hadn't been sounding right for months) and troubleshoot the no
start.  They couldn't get it to start.  After paying about $230.00, I got the
car back home only to find fuel leaks at one of the pump fuel line banjo
fitting (they didn't bother to put in any washers) and at the gas tank drain
plug (dented next to the drain plug).  What an adventure !!!!!!

Skip   '74 MGB