Re: Tie rod ends

To: "philip.s.jones" <philip.s.jones@comcast.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie rod ends
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:39:51 -0000
Because you are scrapping the units a picklefork will probably be OK,
although the only thing I have found that undoes them without damaging them
or by using brute-force is a 'scissors'-type tool from the likes of
Sykes-Pickavant.  Unless you already have a pickle-fork then I recommend you
buy the scissors tool.  Make sure you can undo the lock-nut and turn the
tie-rod in the track-rod end before removing it from the steering arm, being
supported at both ends helps in this.  In the past I have had to get a
cutting torch on mine and get them red hot before they would turn,
reassemble with copper grease.  Count the turns as you remove the old ones
and turn the new ones on the same number.  They will be different, but it
should be close enough to drive to a tracking place for final alignment.

PaulH.